Directed by: Garry Marshall
Written by: Rick Podell, Michael Preminger
Produced by: Nick Abdo, Alexandra Rose, Roger M. Rothstein
Other cast: Jackie Gleason, Eva Marie Saint
Release date: July 30, 1986
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Running time: 1h 58min
A successful advertising executive, David Basner, is working on a project that could make him partner at his company. When his parents suddenly end their 36-year marriage, he is thrown into the role of caregiver, dealing with his delicate mother, Lorraine, and his combative father, Max, who provides constant aggravation and bitter remarks. When one of his parents gets sick, David must choose what is more important, his family or his career.
→ It’s a comedy. And a drama. Just like life.
→ On his way up the corporate ladder. David Basner confronts his greatest challenge: his father.
⋄ Tom Hanks gets off the plane and sees the drivers holding names of passengers; one of the drivers is holding “Isolde” and another “Tristan”. These are the star-crossed lovers of legend.
• What crappy advice. I can’t get my parents to move.
• Mom, why don’t you put on your shoes and come out of the cage? How many guys have said that to their mothers?
• Sir, I was just wondering. By eating your entire meal with the salad fork, does that include the soup?
• I’m just protecting my balls, just as, I’m sure, at one time or another, you have protected your own
• Look, I’ve done the job. Alright? Take my stuff, do whatever you want to do with it. But for the fifth time now, I’m not going anywhere with anybody. And don’t you *ever* fucking touch me again!